Sunday, November 20, 2005

Guile Debate and Apres

"Let it be resolved that reasonableness is not the norm."


You may argue yay, or nay. Either way - it makes no difference because on this day the goal was the same: to make everyone die from laughter. And I think they truly lived up to this goal. The Guile Debate was a phenomenal success with all the contestants putting on an amazing performance. 3 minutes times what was it, 15 people - 45 minutes of shear pain to my stomach. You had everything ranging from lack of reasonableness not existing because women have fantasies about sleeping with orangutans or professors rubbing themselves up against blackboards on a daily basis. On the other side of the argument we have to be reasonable if we are capable of creating such a brilliant code as the tax code which gives you alternatives within the same provision for situations where you are dead or not dead, elected or not elected and well... everything or not everything with reference to about 20 other subsections of nonsense (and can you actually say that a person who enjoys this is reasonable?). Otherwise - well, we must be reasonable because we're British (in a way) and chase pucks like they chase foxes. If this still doesn't convince you of taking a specific side well, maybe if you go to an auction and hear the fastest speaking law student arguing that it all depends on Norm from Cheers to determine the norm of reasonableness... well... at that point everything just becomes clear. In the alternative make sure to resort to the reasonable man, since a reasonable woman is an oxymoron.

No words that I scribble down here will do the Guile justice. The contestants did an absolutely amazing job... and next year... someone please bring a video camera (I'll then be able to post the video clips online). Photos simply do not suffice in a situation like this.

But anyways - since I already took them, I might just let you guys enjoy them and thereby create a couple more targets on my back. Once again - the disclaimer is there - I publish everything (well... except for the photos that simply don't turn out) and I'm sorry if I caught you in an awkward moment or with not your most flattering expression on your face. I guess that's the price you pay for coming out to events like this and/or for being completely drunk out of your mind.

The Guile was followed by a party at either the Shark Club or out Liz and my place. Unfortunate timing caused these two fabulous events to overlap (we had dibs on the date first - but promise not to hold a grudge). So since I couldn't be in two places at the same time - well... the photos that follow the Guile are from the one place where I was. If anyone wants to have some photos from the Shark Club posted, let me know.


Enjoy!


Kasia

PS: And reasonableness is truly NOT the norm - otherwise I would not be insane enough to post most of these pictures.

No comments: